The Best Picture Mission: 83 films, 166 days, a step into the greatest films of all time.

DEADLINE: August 24, 2010.













Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicago (2002)




Movie #8: Chicago (2002)
Oscar wins: 6- Best Picture, Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Zeta-Jones), Best Art Direction (Set Decoration), Best Costume Design, Best Sound, Best Editing
Nominations: Best Director (Marshall), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Zellweger), Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Reilly), Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Latifah), Best Adapted Screenplay (Condon), Best Cinematography, Best Original Song ("I Move On")
Directed by: Rob Marshall
Written by: Bill Condon based on the musical by Fred Ebb & Bob Fosse, and the play by Maurine Dallas Watkins
Starring: Renée Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C. Reilly
Length: 113 minutes
Budget: $45 million

Chicago is a musical (the most recent to win Best Picture!), and based on a Broadway musical from the 1970's, which was based on a play from the 1920's.

It tells the story of Roxie Hart (Zellweger) who, after murdering her (ex) lover, ends up in jail, where she meets her idol Velma Kelly (Zeta-Jones), and the two of them compete for the stage, fame, and success of the fast-paced, up-beat 1920's Chicago life.

I can honestly say that this is the first musical that I liked, and I absolutely loved it. It really inspired me to watch films like Cabaret, and Sweeny Todd, and even Across the Universe (terribly dissapointing film...). The film puts a 21st century twist on musicals, putting to use the technological advances in lighting, sound, filming, and editing, to put together not only an amazing visual experience, but to really tell an incredible story of life in the roaring '20s. Also, I felt like it really used its songs; rather than having the characters break out into the song for the sake of music, it really had the songs fit into the plot, and move the plot along to not only deliver entertainment value but really deepen the story.

To be honest, I never saw the other big film of 2002, The Pianist (but I do own it!), so I cannot confidently say that this film deserved best picture. However, The Pianist would have to be one hell of a film for me to say that it should've beaten Chicago. As I have always said: Chicago is a film with the brains of a drama, in the body of a Broadway show. As for its other nominations, I really think Zellweger could have made a case for Best Lead Actress over Nicole Kidman (which is surprising coming from me, because The Hours is one of my favorite films). All of the actors and actresses in this film just delivered so well in every single scene and with every single line, and I think they held the film to the perfect point without allowing it to flop (if you want to see what a Marshall film can do in the wrong hands, just check out last year's Nine...).

Well, I'm making good progress. I've seen eight films in thirteen days, and I'm right on pace. Next up is A Beautiful Mind, which I saw for the first time this summer and am excited to see again. As for my rankings, this is another tough decision. I was just so surprised by how in love with Chicago I was, and every time I watch it I continue to uncover new things and continue to be entertained. Thus, it edged out Lord of the Rings for number two, but fell JUST short of #1.

Rankings:
1. Million Dollar Baby (2004)
2. Chicago (2002)
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
4. The Departed (2006)
5. No Country for Old Men (2007)
6. The Hurt Locker (2009)
7. Crash (2005)
8. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment