The Best Picture Mission: 83 films, 166 days, a step into the greatest films of all time.

DEADLINE: August 24, 2010.













Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Plan



The Academy Awards on Sunday were my final push towards completing a project I have wanted to undertake for a very long time. The goal: watch every film ever to have won the Academy Award for Best Picture. I have set a time limit, 166 days from now (two times the number of film, 83), and will blog about each film.

I should start off by saying that I am a 19 year-old college student, living at home and attending the local community college. With free tuition, I've been able to spend my money on much more important things, mainly movies and books (from Amazon and Ebay). Currently, excluding this year's awards, I own every film nominated for Best Picture since 1998. Also, I own every film that has won Best Picture since 1990. I'd like to stress the fact that I own these films, but have not seen them; I have only seen 10 of the 19 winners. So, my new plan is to watch them all. Not just the ones I own, but ALL of them.


I will start with this year's winner, The Hurt Locker. Even though I have already seen this one and many of the others, I will re-watch them. I will then work backwards to the first winner, way back in 1928, Wings. Also, I feel it's important to mention that in 1928, there were two awards given for "best picture:" Wings, given the title "Best Production," and Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, given the title "Most Unique and Artistic Production." I will watch them both, giving me a total of 83 movies. For the most part, I will watch them in order. However, should a problem arise (such as I don't get an ordered movie delivered on time, or a movie doesn't work, etc), I will skip that movie and move to the next one, and go back as soon as possible. Also, another issue I can think of right now, I will watch The Godfather before The Godfather Part II, for obvious reasons. I will watch the ones I own, borrow the ones I can, rent the ones available at my local video store, and for all others either rent online (from Amazon) or purchase. I will watch all movies over the next five and a half months, 166 days, and blog about each one (hopefully as soon as a finish watching it). I will give my general opinion on the movie, try to be as brutally honest (and un-bias) as possible, and I will also rank them according to how much I enjoyed them and how good of a movie I thought it was.

Thanks to anyone out there taking the time to read this, I hope you enjoy this project as much as (I hope) I will.


--DEADLINE: AUGUST 24, 2010--

No comments:

Post a Comment